IAC2 Mold Certified

I use the Zefon Bio Pump for air sampling and VIABLE culture air samples. i also conduct surface mold sampling with swabs and tape lifts. I am a certified as a Professional Mold Inspector (PMI) and IAC2 certified as a mold inspector and sampling professional.

Mold is as old as time, and will be here long after we’re all gone. Mold has its purpose, to decompose waste materials. However, mold is an opportunist. Mold is a growing problem in houses built from the mid-1970’s to present. Why?

  1. Over Insulating
  2. Poor or inadequate ventilation
  3. Poor building practices
  4. Unabated moisure conditions in the house
  5. Water leaks that have not been properly cleaned

Mold is considered a serious health hazard. There are ‘professionals’ that argue mold is not a health hazard. The health hazard depends on an individual’s own immune system, so what may not affect 3 members of a household, may have a serious health consequence on another. Older people, very young children and immune system compromised individuals are at the greatest risk for mold intolerance.

Some mold facts for you:

  • Wet materials or humidity conditions over 50% can allow mold colonies to form in less than 48 hours.
  • Mold just needs four conditions to colonize: moisture, lack of UV rays, lack of ventilation, and any organic material as a food source (i.e. nearly everything in your house!)
  • Molds fall into three categories: allergens, pathogens, or toxins. Some can be all three!
  • Even if a colony is “dead” it may still pose an allergenic reaction in pets and humans.
  • BLEACH DOES STOP MOLD GROWTH!!! Often, the use of household bleach will contribute to spreading of mold throughout the house.
  • One family member may be adversely affected by mold exposure, while others show no effects at all.
  • Odor or visible color has no bearing on what type(s) of mold you may have. Analysis by a laboratory is the only way to determine if it is mold, and what type(s).
  • Molds grow in EVERY color! That is no determination of their toxicity.
  • MILDEW IS MOLD!
  • Results can usually be returned in less than three days from testing!
  • Mold spores exist EVERYWHERE in the world! It is the uncontrolled growth that presents a problem.

Home Insurance usually will not cover mold damage claims, so it is always prudent to have testing done. Whether buying, selling, or just concerned;
testing and house assessment can be completed within just a few hours. Here are the areas a Good inspector will evaluate for causing conditions conducive to mold growth:

While not all mold is as evident as the above photo, here are conditions in a home that may be conducive to mold growth:

  • Tree roots that have infiltrated storm and sanitary lines. Water backs up and basement wall moisture is evident.
  • Poor grading – flat or negative slope at the foundation wall is a sure sign of moisture in the home. Water takes the path of least resistance.
  • Downspout flow from gutters needs to be taken away from the structure. Splash blocks are not sufficient to do this, especially on flat or rolling grades.
  • Efflorescence (white powdery substance) and staining on: chimneys, foundation or basement walls, till, retaining walls, or any other home surfaces are an indication of moisture penetration.
  • Flashing changes in roof elevations, flashing not properly sealed, poor maintenance of roof and gutters may indicate a moisture problem.
  • Ventilation – lack of roof and crawl space ventilation. If you do not see vents, or verify that the vents are truly cut-through or not blocked, there will be mold growth. It is difficult to determine ventilation in cathedral ceilings or roof lines w/o attic entrances.